EMDR – A Treatment for Disturbing Memories
– Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a treatment for trauma most widely known for its benefits with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
– EMDR therapy is used to reduce anxiety and post-traumatic stress symptoms, such as intrusive thoughts, nightmares and flashbacks.
– More research has been done in the treatment of trauma using EMDR than any other therapy model.
– The American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, and Veterans Administration endorse EMDR.
– The American Psychiatric Association (2004) gave EMDR the highest level of recommendation in the treatment of trauma.
– EMDR is an effective treatment for traumas of various levels of severity and has broad applications, as noted below.
PROBLEMS HELPED BY EMDR
- Loss/Injury of a loved one
- Childhood trauma
- Natural disasters
- Relationship Problems
- Assault/Violent crimes
- Sleep Disturbance
- Physical/Sexual Abuse
- Witness to violence